This chicken lettuce wraps recipe is shared with us by Yvette Garfield from her book Handstand Kids Chinese Cookbook Kit. She created Handstand Kids Cookbooks to introduce children to international foods in a fun and hands-on way. I love the idea of kids learning how to cook, while learning about the people, places, and language of a new country. This chicken lettuce wrap recipe looks easy enough to do with the kids and tasty enough to impress the tastebuds!
The Great Wall of Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
Chicken Lettuce Wrap Ingredients:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Dash of salt and pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
1/2 can water chestnuts, drained
1 cup shiitake mushrooms (about 4 medium mushrooms)
4-6 iceberg lettuce leaves
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
Chicken Lettuce Wrap Tools:
3 Small bowls
How To Make Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
1. Measure the soy sauce, sugar and vinegar and place into a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
2. Cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside in medium bowl.
3. Chop the scallions, chestnut and mushrooms into the same size pieces as the chicken. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil in the wok over high heat and add chicken. Cook the chicken about 2-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until cooked through.
5. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute.
6. Add the chestnuts, scallions and mushrooms and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
7. Stir in the sauce and cook for 1 more minute.
8. Place chicken on a platter alongside the lettuce leave.
9. Scoop a large spoonful of the chicken into a lettuce leaf and wrap like you would a burrito. Your chicken lettuce wraps are ready to serve or you might want to let everyone wrap their own for even more fun.
I hope you enjoy these healthy, delicious chicken wraps. Thanks again to Handstand Kids for sharing it!
The Handstand Kids Cookbook series features the languages and cuisines of Italy, Mexico, China, and many other countries. Each Handstand Kids cookbook offers over twenty family friendly recipes, introduces children to traditional, well-known, as well as innovative dishes from around the world, and familiarizes them with the language of the corresponding country.