Get a jump on your Spring Cleaning early! De-cluttering, organizing, and deep cleaning will not only make you feel better about your space but give you the opportunity to organize your home as well.
Spring is a great time to get rid of all the excess you’ve been storing away in your house over the winter! A lot like squirrels storing nuts for the winter, we tend to hold onto the excess in our homes. But with the coming of warm, sunny weather comes doses of Vitamin D that gives us a surge of energy; what a great way to put that energy to use!
Before You Deep Clean, You Should Declutter
First, start with these tips on how to de-clutter your house and get organized. Doing a deep clean is easier when you have less junk to clean under and actually look clean and stay clean longer!
- De-clutter one room at a time. It’s important to start slow, which is why going one room at a time is the best. Begin by going through everything. Yep, I said it, everything. Sort into piles of yes, no, maybe. Once you’ve sorted through everything you’ll have a gigantic mess. Might be a little overwhelming and you’ll realize either two things: how much stuff you have or how little of stuff you have. I wouldn’t say the second is typical. But hey, I do not doubt it could happen.
- Go through your yes and maybe piles again. This time you don’t have the option for a “maybe” pile. You are either keeping it or tossing/selling/ donating it. Now comes my favorite part.
- Organizing everything you’ve decided to keep. The best way to keep things organized is for everything to have a home. This may sound “obvious” but you’d be surprised how many things we have that have a place but not a home. The best way to go about this is to sort out everything you have into categories. i.e clothing, office supplies, odds n ends, etc.
- Move on to the next room, until you’ve finished all the rooms.
This could take longer depending on how much you need to organize but I wouldn’t expect to finish in a day. Once you’ve finished organizing your house, apartment, garage, etc. it will provide the ideal slate for deep-cleaning your home.
How To Deep Clean Your Whole House
Now here’s how to get the deep clean done!
- Begin with dusting. Don’t just do a light dusting, really get into it! Remember to include:Upper ledges and above the cabinets
- Clean the air vents
- Dust ceiling fans, light fixtures, bookshelves, furniture, baseboards, surfaces, clocks, & other wall hangings, items, etc.
- Don’t forget the blinds! Tip: You can use a dryer static sheet to dust your baseboards.
- Next, Windows, Surfaces, Mirrors, Fridge, Microwave
- Wash the windows
- Clean your mirrors, clocks, etc.
- Wash the countertops, fridge, microwave, etc.
- Clean out your refrigerator and add a deodorizer
- Don’t forget to clean underneath and behind your appliances
- Clean your oven inside & out (some ovens have a self clean option). Here is a tutorial for how to clean between the glass on the oven door.
- Begin with sweeping the floors throughout the house. Don’t forget the back or front porch if you have them.
- Mop tile or linoleum floors
- Vacuum rugs, carpets, sofas, etc.
- Wash all of your kitchen towels, bath towels, bed sheets, etc.
- Finish with furniture polish on all of your wood furniture
Now you’ve not only organized your home but you’ve deep-cleaned it! You are all ready for a fresh, clean spring. Happy Deep Cleaning & De-cluttering! You will feel so much better afterwards. Really.
What is on you spring cleaning do list? How do you tackle your deep cleaning and organizing woes? Do you have any tips and tricks you’d like to share? We would love to hear them in the comments below.