Spring is in the air and it is time to tackle Spring Cleaning! Some folks dread cleaning while others derive an intense satisfaction of achievement when the job is done. Either way, cleaning is an important part of keeping our homes a healthy environment and making them feel inviting for all. To help make Spring Cleaning easier, I am providing you with a handy dandy Spring Cleaning checklist. When faced with a list, spring cleaning can sometimes be overwhelming, but with these simple spring cleaning tips, you can get the job done quickly and efficiently.
What Is Spring Cleaning?
Spring cleaning is a tradition of doing a deep clean every spring. Throughout history, the spring season has been known as a time of renewal and fresh starts. That is why spring cleaning is so popular. It is a great time to say out with the old and in with the new! If are wondering about the origins of spring cleaning, Yoga District states that it can be traced back 3,000 years to Persian culture and their spring tradition of khaneh tekani. “It was believed that sweeping up dust and removing clutter from one’s home would prevent ill-fortune in the upcoming year.”
Next, you are probably wondering, “When is spring cleaning?” There is no strict answer for when to start spring cleaning or how to do it. However, most folks try to start around the first day of spring. That date is March 20th. For many of us, good cleaning can get started late or drag out. Most folks try to complete spring cleaning by the end of April.
Are you wondering how to do spring cleaning? Don’t feel like you have to tackle the whole cleaning list as once. You may want to schedule a few tasks a day. However, the more you do at once, the quicker you’ll be done with Spring Cleaning and that always feels great!
Handy Spring Cleaning To Do List
Spring Cleaning is the time to tackle all the chores you have been skipping over for awhile. I won’t itemize the basics because you probably already have a good routine for cleaning basics. This Spring Cleaning List is focused on the tasks that you hardly remember because it has been so long since you last did them!
- Dust ceiling fans and light fixtures (Wow, they can get dirty just doing nothing!)
- Take a wash rag and clean corners and crown molding
- Dust window blinds or vacuum curtains (or both if you have both)
- Dust window cases and ledges
- Clean windows (outside and inside)
- Clean baseboards
- Spot clean walls
- Clear off your whole mantle and clean it
- Spot clean your upholstered furniture
- Vacuum your upholstered furniture
- Steam clean surfaces you have been meaning to get around to
- Deep clean carpets
- clean under rugs and wash washable rugs
- change air filter
- vacuum air ducts
- Use wood polish on your wood furniture
- Spray down any vinyl seats and wipe clean
- Use leather conditioner on any leather furniture
- Move your furniture and clean under all your furniture
- vacuum/ dust lampshades
- Clear off all of your table tops and clean them
- Shred any unnecessary paper piles you have been collecting
- Dust wall hangings
- Clean the oven
- Run a cleaning tablet through the dish washer
- Clean stainless steel appliances surfaces
- Vacuum the refrigerator coils
- Deep clean the refrigerator
- Clean closets and add closet drawer sachets
- Deep clean pantry, checking expiration dates as you go
Spring Cleaning Tips
Spring is the perfect time to get fresh into into the house. Take advantage of nice weather days to open all the windows and put on some fans to push out old air and pull in the fresh air.
For shredding my papers, I used a Fellowes office shredder to help me declutter.
White vinegar is a natural and cheap cleaning product. Here is everything you need to know about how to use it to clean almost anything.
Check your washing machine for a self-cleaning cycle. If it has one, use it! If it doesn’t, you may want to run an empty small load with just hot water and 2 cups of bleach to get the washer itself nice and clean.
Deep cleaning the living room is a great way to get yourself energized to clean the rest of the house too. Plus, it will be ready to welcome guests which is always nice.
Don’t forget to clean your windows with glass cleaner. It really lets the light in and helps dramatically improve the well maintained vibe.
When you get to the bathroom, make sure to replace the shower curtains or liners if needed.
7 Secrets to Getting Spring Cleaning Done Faster
- Declutter First (so there is less to clean and the results look better)
- Set a Timer
- Focus on High-Traffic Areas
- Get Creative with Cleaning Hacks
- Make it Fun with Music and Podcasts
- Enlist Help from Friends and Family
Don’t let spring cleaning stress you out. With these lazy girl-approved tips, you can get the job done faster and with less effort. So put on your favorite tunes or podcast, enlist the help of loved ones, and get cracking on that cleaning checklist today!
Spring Cleaning is the perfect opportunity to get rid of the old and make room for the new. Spring cleaning sets you up to be happier, healthier, and more productive all year long! When a house and/ or room is clean, it just feels better!
Out of all the best spring cleaning tips, my tip is to just get started. Go ahead and grab your dry microfiber cloth and cleaning products. Say goodbye to the dust bunnies and hello to the clean grout. Ask your family members to help with the cleaning process. Many hands make light work.
Do you have a spring cleaning plan? Do you take advantage of Spring Cleaning to purge old unwanted items? Go ahead use this Spring Cleaning To-Do List and get rid of the old and make room for the new at your house!
Printable Family Cleaning Schedule