Sometimes it is a lot of fun to take your fashion to a whole different level. You can embellish clothing or shoes to make them unique to dress them up or to give a new look to an outdated item. The other day, Orly Shani and Tanya Memme teamed up to on Home & Family to show how to make your own embellished boots without breaking the bank. It is a great DIY project for adults and teens and encourages creativity. You can create your own personalized fashion with this DIY embellished boots project for under $20.
I was granted permission by Home & Family to share this DIY project. Home & Family airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel. Affiliate links included.
DIY Embellished Combat Boots
For this DIY fashion project, you don’t actually have to have combat boots. In fact, embellished booties and embellished cowgirl boots look great too so feel free to use these same tips and tricks for decorating any style of boots. However, embellished combat boots are extra fun because they have the big tongue that can be decorated too!
Materials For DIY Boot Embellishments:
- Metal studs (no prongs) or other embellishments such as rhinestones
- Cloth with a cool pattern (optional)
- Yes! Paste
How To Embellish Boots:
1. First decide where you want your embellishments to go. The boot tongue is a very cute and stylish option for combat boots. You can also choose to decorate cowgirl boots with rhinestones or add pearls to the heel of ankle boots. This is all about you and your creativity.
2. If you decide to do the boot tongue, trace the shape with pencil on the back of your fabric and extend it down so you can fully cover the tongue deep enough into the boot. Cut out the fabric and use Yes! Paste to glue the fabric to the tongue. It does not leave bubbles and wrinkles behind. Non-toxic, and slow to set (so you can move if needed) it works well on leather, cloth, wood, imitation leather, glass, and metal surfaces. The thick paste can also hold the studs where they are needed.
3. Decide how you want to lay out your studs and place them on to get the idea of how it will look and how many you will need where. You may chose to do a strip of studs over the boot toes and several strips on the boot tongue as in the photo. Or you may like decorate the boot heel with rhinestones!
4. Use Yes! Paste to glue studs onto the fabric or straight onto the leather if you don’t want to use an accent fabric. Then allow to dry.
5. Enjoy your very own embellished boots at a fraction of department store prices!
DIY Studded Boots Conclusion
These same techniques can be used for slouchy boots, high boots, and combat boots. Who knew it was so easy to embellish boots, right? Making your own decorated boots is a great way to add style and customize your outfit with minimal expense. This simple diy project is such a great way to restyle an old pair of boots or give a cheap pair of boots a really expensive designer look. Do you think you will try this DIY embellished boots tutorial? Will you use rhinestones, studs, or some other embellishments?