I love a this decadent, moist banana cake made from scratch. The recipe that I am about to share with you is considered to be the best banana cake recipe by many. It is the famous Chasen’s banana shortcake recipe as shared with us by pastry chef Valerie Gordon. She has been described as a restoration chef, bringing to life recipes that were once famous but that nobody really makes anymore. You can find more of her retro recipes in her cookbook, SWEET. This easy, banana split cake looks as good as it tastes with lovely layers of whip cream, bananas, a rum ice cream sauce, and a chocolate drizzle. This recipe was first shared on Home & Family, which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel, and I was given permission to share it with you here.
Easy Moist Banana Split Cake Recipe
Once you are done making this scrumptious banana cake, you should eat it on the same day, or you can wrap it up and store it in the refrigerator for up to one day. It is sort of like a strawberry shortcake only with bananas so it is best fresh because whipped cream doesn’t hold up well.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 sticks Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp Heavy cream
- 2 very ripe bananas
- fresh whipped cream (3/4 cup heavy cream, 1 tbsp Sugar,1 tsp Vanilla bean paste)
- chocolate sauce
- rum ice cream sauce (1 pint Vanilla ice cream, softened and 3 tbsp Light rum)
For between the cake layers you need two fresh bananas sliced into disks and fresh whipped cream. For garnish, you can use store bought Chocolate Sauce or you can use Valerie Gordon’s recipe from her SWEET cookbook. Her recipe for fresh whipped cream is also in the cookbook.
How To Make Chasen’s Banana Shortcake
1) Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Coat the bottoms and sides of two 9-by-3-inch round cake pans with nonstick baking spray.
2) Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder into a medium bowl.
3) In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or in a large bowl, using a handheld mixer), beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla paste and mix well, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients in two batches, mixing until fully incorporated. Pour in the cream and mix for 1 minute.
4) Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans, spreading it evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tops appear dry and slightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool for 15 minutes in the pans on a cooling rack, then remove the cakes and cool completely on the rack. Wrap the cakes in plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble the cake.
While the cakes chill, prepare the whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and ice cream sauce.
Directions to Prepare Banana Cake Toppings:
1) Slice the bananas into very thin rounds.
2)Using a handheld mixer, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla paste in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
3)Using a rubber spatula, fold in the rum into the softened ice cream, just until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate.
If you need to make the banana cake more than 3 hours ahead of time, then wait to add the bananas until just before serving so they don’t turn brown.
Photo Credit: Copyright 2016 Crown Media Family Networks/Photographer: Jeremy Lee
To Assemble The Best Ever Banana Cake:
1) Place one layer of the cake down and spread a layer of the fresh whipped cream over the cake. It is important to use a high quality fresh whipped cream so it can stand up to layering. Then cover with a layer of sliced bananas. Add another thin layer of whipped cream.
2) Add second layer of cake. Spread a thin layer of fresh whipped cream over the top cake. Arrange a circle of banana slices around the edge of the cake.
3) Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
4) To serve, slice the banana split cake and place slice onto an individual plate. Then top with ice cream sauce and more chocolate sauce.
Enjoy this indulgent, easy moist banana cake! It tastes like a banana split and is sure to be a hit.
Valerie Gordon’s first cookbook, SWEET, was a James Beard Award Finalist! Learn more about here recipes or order a copy at valerieconfections.com
Printable Banana Split Cake Recipe
Let us know how you like this easy moist banana cake recipe and tag us in your photos #familyfocusblog!