Having a family night at home isn’t just a great way to save money, it’s an excellent way to bond. That is, as long as you’re doing things together and not all staring at your devices or watching TV in different rooms. After you have all had a long day at work or school, coming together as a family is a great chance to reconnect, share your day, and share a little fun too with these family home evening ideas.
Fun Family Home Evening Ideas
Need some great inspiration for how to spend a family night at home? Start the family evening off over a shared family dinner. You can all help cook together or you can order food to share together as a family. The key here is to turn off the TV and phones and just enjoy each other’s company. Next, here are some fun family home evening ideas that will bring you all together for quality family time that will build your family bond.
American Idol Contest
Pick two family members to be the judges and let everyone else compete against each other to see who’s the best performer. You can make it more fun by getting a karaoke machine and letting your kids invite friends to participate.
You don’t have to pack backpacks and hike off into the woods to enjoy some fun in the great outdoors. Pitch a tent in the backyard, play games, cook hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, make s’mores, and tell scary ghost stories under the stars.
Another or my family home evening ideas is to try some family skits. Divide into two teams and each team writes a skit to present to the other team. If you’re family is big enough, let the kids write and present the skits while the parents judge. If your family is smaller, do a talent night instead and let everyone present their own talent.
Scavenger Hunt in the Dark
Set up a scavenger hunt or treasure hunt then give everyone a set of clues. They have to find their treasures outside by flashlight and either bring the item back or take a picture of it. It’s great outdoor summer fun.
Is there something your family wants to learn how to do or something you want to build? Have a DIY night where you learn a new hobby or make something together as a family. Not only will you enjoy bonding time, you’ll have something to show for it. Try one of the DIY ideas.
More Fun Family Home Evening Activities:
- Cook as a family– allow each family member to prepare a dish for your meal
- Build blanket forts and camp out in the living room
- Play tag or other backyard games
- Have a water balloon fight
- Play Frisbee with a glow-in-the-dark Frisbee
- Get plain white mugs and decorate them with glass paints so everyone has their own personalized mug
- Tie-dye t-shirts
- Go on a family walk, bike ride, or other fun family fitness activities
- Have a pizza and ice cream sundae party where everyone gets to make their own
- Make puppets and put on a play
- Play Charades, Monopoly, or other fun family board games
- Enjoy a double-feature movie night with popcorn and snacks
- Have a fondue night
- Create a cookie decorating party
- Play table tennis or badminton
With so many great ideas for staying in with your family, you won’t miss a thing by not going out. In fact, you’ll probably have more fun with these family home evening ideas! Family life is important from the time kids are born all the way through their teens when they move out. Schedule special family evening time at least once a week, every night if possible! What are some of your favorite ways to pass the evenings with family?