Here are two nontraditional homemade hummus recipes. Hummus is great for snacks, appetizers, party hors d’oeuvres or for those who like to prep their meals for the week! Other than traditional hummus, these two are my favorite hummus recipes to make. The first, a feta cheese hummus with a dash of cinnamon and sliced cucumbers. The next, an avocado based hummus with a little kick! They are light, healthy, and homemade! It’s hard to beat that.
Two Hummus Recipes With A Twist
Feta Cheese Hummus Recipe
- 1 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
How To Make Feta Cheese Hummus:
- Get your food processor ready! Rise and drain the garbanzo beans and add them to the food processor.
- Juice 1 lemon and add.
- Next, add 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Blend well until it is the consistency you prefer
Homemade feta cheese hummus goes great with sliced cucumbers, sliced pitas, or chips. Enjoy!
Avocado Hummus Recipe
- one 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro or 1 1/2 tablespoons of dried cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
How To Make Avocado Hummus:
- Rise and drain the garbanzo beans.
- Dice 1 ripe avocado.
- Clean, seed and dice 1 jalapeño.
- Add the garbanzo beans, avocado, jalapeño, cilantro and lime juice to a food processor and blend until it is at the consistency you prefer.
Caution: The fumes from a jalapeño can be very irritating while cleaning and seeding. Use a bandana or damp cloth to cover your nose and mouth.
This dip tastes like a mix of hummus and guacamole so pita or tortilla chips go well or you can even slice up a second avocado and use that as your chip! It would also delicious served with vegan gyros.
Have you tried homemade hummus before? Would you try these homemade hummus recipes?