Recently, Home & Family featured a segment with Chef Chris Oh sharing his amazing Korean barbecue recipe. You may be familiar with Chef Chris Oh as a judge and chef on the new Bravo show “Recipe for Deception”. Chris Oh is also founder of Seoul Sausage Co, Co-founder of Hanjip Korean BBQ Restaurant, managing partner of Escala, the co-owner of Nomad Kitchen, the winner of multiple TV competition shows! Chef Chris Oh is known for his delicious Korean barbecue recipes and he shared his Korean BBQ sauce recipe on the Home & Family Show, which airs weekdays at 10 am ET on Hallmark Channel. I was given permission to share it with you here.
Chef Chris Oh’s Korean Barbecue Recipe
H&F Photo Credit: Copyright 2016 Crown Media Family Networks/Photographer: Jeremy Lee
The key to great Korean Barbecue is the Korean BBQ sauce and the cooking technique. This Chef Chris Oh recipe serves 4-6. This Korean BBQ sauce recipe can use used to make Korean BBQ beef, Korean BBQ pork, Korean barbecue shrimp, you name it. This fabulous Korean barbecue sauce can be used to marinate almost anything and then save some of it to use as a dipping sauce too, if you like.
Korean BBQ Sauce Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 2 cups white sugar (you can substitute brown sugar if you prefer)
- 3 cups Water
- 1/2 Tb garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/2 T black pepper powder
To Prepare This Korean Barbecue Recipe, you will also need:
- 2 lbs Rib Eye Steaks, thinly sliced (about 1/8″ thick pieces).
- serve with rice and optional traditional Korean side dishes called banchan (pickled veggies)
- garnish with sliced green onions and white or back sesame seeds
Korean food, like most Asian cuisine, is full of umami flavors. If you like to spice things up even more, sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top. This easy Korean bbq sauce is such a versatile sauce. You will love it!
Korean BBQ Recipe Directions
1) Whisk the Korean BBQ sauce ingredients together until fully mixed.
2) Place in a glass pyrex or large ziplock and add the thinly sliced beef.
3) Marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
4) Remove and discard marinade.
5) Pat dry and sear quickly on each side on a very hot grill pan, cast iron pan, or bbq grill.
6) Serve the Korean Barbecue beef over rice with pickled veggies, garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
I just love this Korean barbecue recipe because it tastes so good and it is so easy to make! Do you think you will try this Korean barbecue recipe? What will you use the Korean barbecue marinade for- chicken, tofu, beef?
Printable Recipe Card For Korean BBQ Sauce