I love this fun and adorable diy project- how to make ice cream cone candles. It is such a cute DIY gift and makes great summer home decor. Ken Wingard was inspired to make this fun DIY candle craft after Dolly Parton shared stories of growing up without electricity. To this day, she loves lighting candles all over her house to provide lighting. Ken started this DIY candle craft at Old Flames Candle Shop which is located in Dollywood. Ken first shared these DIY Ice Cream Cone Candles on Hallmark’s Home and Family Show, which airs weekdays at 10 am ET/PT on Hallmark Channel. I was given permission to share it with you here.
Fun DIY Candle Idea- How To Make Ice Cream Candles
Photo Credits: Copyright 2016 Crown Media Family Networks/Photographer: Jeremy Lee
DIY Candle Craft Supplies Needed:
- Ice cream cones (1 for each candle you intend to make)
- Soy Wax (at least 1 cup for each color of ice cream you intend to make)
- Wick (1 for each candle you intend to make)
- Ice cream scoop
- Bowl (one for each color of ice cream you intend to make)
Most of these candle making supplies are available at your local craft store, or order them through my affiliate Amazon link below. You may even qualify for free shipping.
You will not need a candle mold because we will be using real cones! You can use a cake cone as he did here so that it has a nice flat bottom. Or you could use a waffle cone if you happen to have the perfect stand. We will be scooping the wax, just a like real ice cream!
Ken did three small batches of wax because he wanted to do three “flavors” of ice cream candles. Vanilla ice cream is made with white colorant, strawberry with pink, and chocolate with brown. If you want them to be scented you can add essential oils at the same time as the wax coloring powder or drops.
How To Make Ice Cream Cone Candles
1. Melt candle wax melts in the microwave or a double broiler. Be careful with the hot wax so you don’t burn yourself!
2. Using pliers, dip and coat your ice cream cone in the hot uncolored wax.
3. Put about 1 cup of remaining wax into a bowl.
4. Add desired coloring to wax.
5. Whisk wax for 3-5 minutes using a spatula to remove wax around edges of bowl to cool wax until it looks like cool whip.
6. Use spatula and fill cone and make a flat layer of whipped wax to fill base of ice cream cone.
7. Use ice cream scoop and add wax “ice cream scoop” on top of flat layer.
8. Measure wick from bottom of cone to 1 inch above wax scoop and trim wicks.
9. Insert wick into cone while the wax is still soft.
10. Allow to cool completely.
You can watch the full tutorial on video here:
These diy ice cream cone candles make great gifts or party favors. They are also perfect decor for outdoor summer parties. Do you think you will make ice cream cone candles?
(These are real candles so be sure to use real caution with keeping an eye on lit candles and supervising children.)
These are such a unique gift and their custom design is just so fun! What flavor (color) ice cream candle will you make?