This mushroom lentil soup recipe, shared from the New England Soup Factory Cookbook (affiliate link below), is a hearty blend of brown lentils, vegetables, and a variety of mushrooms. I love the texture because each bite is wonderfully chewy. The scallions, parsley, and thyme finish it with a burst of green crunchiness.
This is my daughter’s favorite soup. She just loves mushrooms and lentils so it makes her happy. I love that it is so healthy- full of protein and vegetables. I also like that it is easy to make into a vegan soup by just using vegetable stock instead of beef stock. I think this mushroom lentil soup will be a new favorite in your house too!
Simple Mushroom Lentil Soup Recipe (With Vegan Option)
Makes 8 servings
Lentil Soup Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 6 carrots, peeled and diced or sliced
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, diced (or baby bella mushrooms)
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced (meaty mushrooms)
- 1/4 pound oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 pound dried lentils (French lentils, green lentils or red lentils)
- l cup dry sherry
- 8 cups beef stock (or vegetable broth stock if you want to keep it vegan)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- l bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How To Make Mushroom Lentil Soup:
Heat a Dutch oven or large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, fresh garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 7 minutes. Add the portobello, shiitake, and oyster mushrooms. Saute an additional 3 minutes. Add the lentils, sherry, stock, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for l l/4 hours.
Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves. Add the thyme, parsley, scallions, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Serve soup garnished with a bit of fresh chopped parsley. You may also want to serve with some crusty bread and butter.
Printable Mushroom Lentil Soup Recipe
Thanks again to Marjorie Druker for providing this mushroom lentil soup recipe. This one of those recipes that really highlights the simplicity and joy of cooking at home with wholesome ingredients. This soup is so hearty and satisfying. The medley of mushrooms really adds a ton of flavor. I hope you enjoy this delicious lentil soup and it becomes one of your favorite recipes too.