Okra is a real popular dish down here in the south. My mother always loved okra every which way from boiled, to sautéed, to fried. I, on the other hand, was more picky about which okra recipes were acceptable. I didn’t like the mucilaginous, slimy nature of certain okra recipes even though my mother assured me that it was good for me and tasted good too! Today, I want to share with you one of my favorite ways to enjoy okra- in okra patties made with crunchy cornmeal!
This okra patties recipe comes from a fabulous new cookbook called My Pinewood Kitchen, 130+ Crazy Delicious, Gluten-Free Recipes to Reduce Inflammation and Make Your Gut Happy by Mee McCormick. She is one of the leading experts on how food can heal us from the modern epidemics of autoimmune health challenges. Her reimagined classic Southern recipes taste amazing and do your body good! So go ahead and enjoy this tasty veggie side dish recipe for okra patties, also known as okra fritters.
Okra Patties Recipe:
Recipe Excerpt Reprinted With Permission:
My Pinewood Kitchen, 130+ Crazy Delicious, Gluten-Free Recipes to Reduce Inflammation and Make Your Gut Happy
Health Communications Inc EB; 1 edition (April 14, 2020).
Makes 4 servings
We have rows and rows of okra planted out on the farm. Once these flowers start turning to okra, we make OKRA EVERYTHING. You can’t have a Southern cookbook without fritters, and okra makes ‘em even betta’.
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 cup non-GMO cornmeal**
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 small jalapeño, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 egg or egg replacer equal to one egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup okra rounds
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
*If grain free, replace with coconut flour and double the egg.
**If corn free, replace with almond meal.
How To Make Fried Okra Patties
1) In a food processor, combine all the ingredients except for the okra and olive oil. Pulse until well blended. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the okra rounds.
2) Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and then add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, drop medium-size spoonfuls of the okra mixture into the skillet. Cook each side for about 3 to 5 minutes until brown and crispy and then press to flatten.
3) Remove from the skillet and drain on a paper towel. Season with additional sea salt, if desired, to taste, and serve with a side of Quick Chipotle Aioli.
Thanks again to Mee McCormick for sharing her recipe. I have to say that Chipotle Aioli sure is tasty for dipping but if you want to go old school, just dip them in some ketchup mixed with Louisiana hot sauce! That is the kid in me talking:)
Printable Okra Patties Recipe
It is nice to know gut healing recipes can still be tasty and have that classic southern feel! I hope you enjoy these delicious okra patties as much as I do! What are your favorite ways to enjoy okra?