This recipe for caramel apples with toasted pumpkin seeds and pistachios is perfect for Halloween parties or fall gatherings. This treat has all the sweet goodness of homemade caramel from scratch mixed with the the vitamins and nutrients of the fresh apple so you don’t have to feel guilty about your yummy indulgence. Salty Sow’s Corporate Executive Chef Harold Marmulstein shared this “wicked” recipe for caramel apples combining the perfect blend of sweet and salty flavors that is sure to put a smile on your face.
Lots of folks start to worry when they read caramel apples from scratch but this is an easy recipe that doesn’t even require a candy thermometer! Yup, that is right. You can make easy caramel apples from scratch and they are way better than the ones made with caramel candies.
Recipe For Homemade Caramel Apples
Caramel Apple Ingredients:
- 6 Fuji or Honey Crisp Apples
- 4 cups White Granulated Sugar
- 4 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup Toasted Pistachios
- 8 inch, thick wooden skewers for serving
How To Make Caramel Apples With Homemade Caramel:
1) Wash and dry apples. Then, place on skewers.
2) Heat a flat bottomed over medium heat.
3) Add sugar and gently shake pan until the sugar is melted all the way and turns to a caramel color. (Or for those not experienced with cooking sugar, add ¼ cup water to sugar in a cold pan and cook until it forms the same results.) Never leave sugar unattended as it can go from melted to burnt very quickly.
4) Add cream slowly and cook till smooth caramel, remove and cool to room temperature.
5) Roughly chop seeds and nuts.
6) Insert skewer into the center of the apple by the stem. Then, dip the whole apple into the homemade caramel.
7) Roll dipped apples in chopped seeds and nuts to coat and shake off the excess.
8) Place the bottom of the apple on a baking sheet covered in wax paper or parchment paper and chill till set.
Can I substitute brown sugar? Yes, but the resulting caramel will have more of a butterscotch flavor.
Can I use popsicle sticks instead of thick skewers? Absolutely, but you may have to use a small, thin knife first to make stabbing easier or cut the the tip of the stick to make it more pointed.
Do I have to chill my apples first? Cold apples work great because the caramel will harden up more quickly but it is not necessary.
Will Granny Smith apples work? Yes. They are more tart than Fuji but still delicious!
Printable Recipe For Caramel Apples
Sweet caramel is one of my favorite things. If there is any extra left from your batch of caramel, pour the caramel sauce over a bowl of ice cream- heaven!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for caramel apples. Who knew it was so easy to make caramel apples with such simple ingredients?! Thanks again to the Salty Sow, a gastropub in Phoenix, Arizona, for sharing this yummy recipe for homemade caramel apples with toasted pumpkin seeds.
These homemade caramel apples are sure to be a fun treat to fix with your kids. These also make great gifts for the fall season. Have you ever had homemade caramel apples or have you ever made them yourself? Feel free to share you tips or variations on recipes for caramel apples in the comments or on social media @familyfocusblog!