My husband loves spicy stuff so he came up with a roasted poblano chicken sandwich that is just delicious. We were actually discussing ideas for a sandwich recipe and he came up with poblano chicken and I came up with a Canadian Bacon Gouda Sliders Recipe so we each made our sandwich and had a little competition. Turns out we liked both recipes and couldn’t pick a favorite. This roasted poblano chicken sandwich recipe is really great because you get a little kick from the poblano but not too much heat to handle, the grilled chicken and the cheese and sauce all come together for a very tasty combination.
Grilled Chicken Poblano Sandwich Recipe With Provolone Cheese And Maple Bacon
You just need a few simple ingredients for this poblano pepper chicken breast recipe. Possible substitutions have been noted)
- 4 Sandwich Buns (We used King’s Hawaiian for added element of sweetness to contrast the spice. However you could use Telera rolls or French bread rolls.)
- 2 chicken breasts
- Montreal chicken seasoning or Zatarain’s creole seasoning or Tony Chachere’s
- 5 poblano peppers (you may substitute jalapeño pepper but those tend to be much spicer)
- maple bacon
- 1 large onion (I like the yellow Spanish onions but white or red onions will work just fine)
- olive oil
- provolone cheese (or pepper jack)
- roasted poblano sauce (2 tbsp mayo, 2 tbsp sour cream, 2 tsp lime juice, roasted poblano pepper)
How To Make A Roasted Poblano Chicken Sandwich:
First go ahead and roast those poblano peppers. You could do this on a grill or in the oven on broil turning when the skin gets black. When the skin is blackened a bit, pull the roasted poblano pepper out and place in a bag for 3 minutes to let them sweat so that the skin will separate easier. Then peel the skin off the poblano peppers and remove the stem and seeds. You will use one pepper on each sandwich and the fifth pepper will be blended into the sauce.
To make the roasted poblano sauce, blend all ingredients together and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Cook maple bacon till nice and crispy.
Sprinkle the seasoning to cover both sides of the chicken breast. Grill until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Or cook in a large skillet over medium high heat with a bit of olive oil until browned on both sides and cooked through. If cooking in a skillet, and you have a particularly large chicken breast, you may want to cut it half lengthwise so it is thinner and cooks all the way through more evenly and quickly. Once chicken is cooked, remove from heat and allow to rest for about 4 minutes. Slice chicken on a bias.
Slice onion and caramelize the onion slices in a pan with a bit of olive oil or on the grill.
Assemble sandwich by toasting buns, laying out half a breast of the sliced chicken, followed by a slice of cheese, 1 roasted poblano pepper, caramelized onion ring, maple bacon, and top off with some roasted poblano sauce.
We served the sandwich with grilled sweet potato “fries”. I like to add a light sprinkle of chili powder or smoked paprika and a squeeze of lime juice to really contrast with the sweetness of the fries.
Printable Poblano Chicken Sandwich Recipe Card
Roasted Poblano Chicken Sandwich Recipe
You'll love the smoky flavors in this poblano and chicken sandwich with maple bacon and cheese. Great recipe for a grilling out kind of day.
- 4 Sandwich Buns
- 2 chicken breast
- 2 tsp. Zatarain's creole seasoning
- 5 poblano peppers
- 12 strips of maple bacon
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices of provolone cheese (or pepper jack)
- roasted poblano sauce (2 tbsp mayo, 2 tbsp sour cream, 2 tsp lime juice, 1 roasted poblano pepper)
- Roast poblano peppers on a grill (about 5 minutes on each side) turning when the skin gets black.
- When the skin is blackened a bit all around, put the roasted poblano peppesr in a plastic bag for 3 minutes to let them sweet so that the skin will separate easier. Then peel the skin off the poblano peppers and remove the stem and seeds.
- To make the roasted poblano sauce, blend all ingredients together and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cook maple bacon till nice and crispy.
- Sprinkle the seasoning to cover both sides of the breast and grill on both sides until cooked through. Slice on a bias.
- Slice onion and grill the onion slices until browned on both sides.
- Toast buns.
- Assemble sandwich between the buns laying out the chicken, followed by a slice of cheese, 1 roasted poblano pepper, caramelized onion ring, maple bacon, and top off with some roasted poblano sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Roasted Poblano Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Amount Per Serving:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 56.06 g||86.2%|
|Saturated Fat 19.53 g||95%|
|Trans Fat 0.21 g|
|Cholesterol 132.42 mg||44%|
|Sodium 1191.82 mg||49.6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41.07 g||13.7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.88 g||8%|
|Sugars 6.51 g|
|Protein 43.53 g|
|Vitamin A 14.52 %||Vitamin C 154.75 %|
|Calcium 30.6 %||Iron 22.52 %|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Family Focus Blog
Do you think you will try this roasted poblano chicken sandwich? I love the way the sweet maple bacon contrast with the spicy poblano and the smoky grilled chicken. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Share your pic on social media @familyfocusblog!
Red Pepper Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Grilled Ginger Fowl King Salmon Recipe
Liked your poblano sandwich recipe a lot. I added some fresh cilantro to top the sweet potato wedges. Looking forward for some more mouth watering recipes. Keep up the good work.
Wow, I love chicken burgers. I think your pablano recipe is kind of cool. I will try this. Thank you for sharing.
Loved your recipe! This Roasted Poblano Chicken Sandwich is so good.