My husband LOVES chicken wings. He is always experimenting with a new chicken wings recipe and a new way of cooking them. He loves to cook chicken wings every which way- fried, baked, grilled, and in the crock pot. Most recently he has settled into a crock pot chicken wings routine because we like how it renders off so much of the fat and leaves the meat so tender, juicy, and easy to get off the bone. After we cook the chicken wings in the crock pot (aka slow cooker), we crisp them up in the oven for just a few minutes and they come out so perfect!
Well naturally, when Carrot Krate, a community supported agriculture CSA delivery service, asked me if I could come up with a chicken wings recipe featuring some local farms, I knew my husband was up for the challenge. We love supporting local small businesses. I unboxed my Carrot Krate which featured free- range chicken wings from Katharos Farm, Nashville Heat hot sauces, Williams Raw Honey, and Sriracha, Shallot, & Scallion Butter from The Chattanooga Butter Company.
With these tasty ingredients for inspiration, it was super easy to come up with a crock pot chicken wings recipe. Here’s how to cook crock pot chicken wings and three different chicken wings sauces to use on crock pot hot wings from mild to spicy.
Crock Pot Chicken Wings Recipe
4 servings, about 4-5 for each person (so a great appetizer or dinner if served with lots of sides)
Crock Pot Chicken Wings Ingredients:
2 pounds of Katharos Farm free range chicken wings
2 tsp of Simply Organic Grilling Seasons Chicken seasoning (or 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp sage, 1/4 tsp rosemary, 1/4 tsp thyme)
Crock Pot Chicken Wings Sauce Ingredients:
We made three different sauces. If you just one to go with one, you will want to triple the recipe.
2 tbsp Nashville Heat garlic habanero hot sauce
2 tsp butter, melted
2 tbsp Nashville Heat sweet smoked chipotle
2 tsp butter, melted
1.5 tbsp The Chattanooga Butter Company Sriracha, Shallot, & Scallion Butter, melted
2 tbsp Williams Raw Honey
1 tbsp Nashville Heat habanero (OPTIONAL and only if you love heat, otherwise this is most mild of the hot wings sauces but it still has a little kick from the Sriracha. It was perfect for our kids who don’t like too much heat and I couldn’t resist the sweet and spicy combo either.)
How To Cook Crock Pot Chicken Wings:
This crock pot chicken wings recipe is so easy! You will hardly believe how easy it is but the hot wings taste fantastic without much fuss.
The first step is to take your wings and cut them up into the 3 pieces- the drumette, the flat, and the tip. We don’t use the tips in this crock pot wings recipe but you can save those for your slow cooker chicken stock recipe.
Next up, just toss the wings with the herbs and spices and dump them in the slow cooker and set it for 4 hours.
When you pull the lid off 4 hours later, you will find that the fat has largely cooked right off the wings.
Mix up your simple wing hot sauces.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Line a baking pan with aluminum foil to avoid a mess and you can also use it to create dividers between your slow cooker chicken wings so you can keep the sauced wings separate.
Use tongs to lay the crock pot wings out onto the baking sheet with space between each one.
Then use a spoon to cover each wing in wing sauce.
Place baking pan in oven about 10 inches down from the heat source and bake for 5 minutes.
Pull out the baking pan and use tongs to flip over each wing.
Then use a spoon to cover the second side in sauce.
Place baking pan back in oven about 10 inches down from the heat source and bake for another 5 minutes.
Now your crock pot chicken wings will be nice and crisped up and totally flavorful and delicious!
You can pile them on a plate and serve with ranch and/or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Printable Crock Pot Chicken Wings Recipe
These crockpot chicken wings are so good and so easy. The slow cook helps render off excess fat and then you can give them a quick crisp in the oven.
- 2 pounds of free-range chicken wings
- 2 tsp of chicken seasoning
- 6 tbsp Nashville Heat Sweet Smoked Chipotle Hot Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Take your wings and cut them up into the 3 pieces- the drumette, the flat, and the tip. We don't use the tips in this recipe.
- Toss wing pieces with the chicken seasonings and dump them in the slow cooker and set it for 4 hours.
- Before you remove your wings from the crock pot, mix up your simple wing hot sauce by mixing together the melted butter and hot sauce.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil to avoid a mess.
- Use tongs to lay the crock pot wings out onto the baking sheet with space between each one.
- Then use a spoon to cover each wing in wing sauce.
- Place baking pan in oven about 10 inches down from the heat source and bake for 5 minutes.
- Pull out the baking pan and use tongs to flip over each wing and then use a spoon to cover the second side in sauce.
- Place baking pan back in oven about 10 inches down from the heat source and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Now your crock pot chicken wings will be nice and crisped up and totally flavorful and delicious and ready to serve!
Which one of the hot wing sauce recipes catches your fancy? Have you ever tasted crock pot wings? I hope you enjoy these crock pot chicken wings as much as my family does!
Here is a little Tasty Style video that Carrot Krate made with my recipe:)