You are going to love these Crock Pot Carnitas! One of the biggest challenges we face, during the week, is getting a healthy and delicious meal on the table for dinner. With everyone’s crazy schedule, it becomes really difficult to plan so a lot of people end up going the fast food route for dinner. That doesn’t really help with the healthy eating idea and it also leaves you in the same position the following day, because there are no leftovers. That’s why I love doing crock pot cooking during the weeks with the busy schedules.
The crock pot does all the hard work for you. You pretty much put all the ingredients into the crock pot (as early as the night before, pop it in the fridge overnight, then take it out and plug it in in the morning), turn it on and come home to a hot and healthy dinner. Because the crock pot is a pretty good size, there’s usually plenty of leftovers for the next day’s lunch or dinner. So you kind of get a two for one when you use the crock pot. And I’ll take a freebie like that any time. Plus it keeps the mess to a minimum! This crock pot carnitas pork recipe is great as a filling for taco or burrito night, or maybe you want to use it as a topping for baked potatoes.
Crock Pot Pork Carnitas Recipe:
Crock Pot Carnitas Pork Ingredients:
* 2 Pounds Boneless Pork Shoulder (cut into 2″ cubes)
* 1 Large Onion (roughly chopped)
* 1 12 Ounce Bottle of Beer
* Juice from 1 Orange
* 1 14 – 15 Ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes
* 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
* Juice from 1 Lime
* 1 Teaspoon Coriander
* 1 Teaspoon Cumin
* 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
* 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
* 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
Making Carnitas in the Crock Pot Instructions
1. Place pork cubes in the crock pot along with the onions then pour the beer and orange juice over the top.
2. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
3. Remove pork from juices and set aside.
4. Once cool, shred pork using a fork or your fingers.
5. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the vegetable oil) to a blender. Cover and puree everything until it is well blended.
6. In a large saute pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
7. Once oil is hot, add the pork and saute to crisp up some of the edges.
8. Spoon or pour in as much of the sauce as you would like onto the pork. Continue to cook until sauce is heated through.
9. Serve your canitas pork with corn tortillas, tomatoes, queso fresco and guacamole.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 hour(s) 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
*Crockpot Pork Carnitas Cooking Notes*
If you don’t want to use beer in the recipe, you can substitute an equal amount of chicken stock for the beer.
The chipotle peppers in this recipe are not that spicy, but if you would like, you can cut the amount of peppers in half then taste test the sauce.
This crock pot pork carnitas recipe is great as a filling for taco or burrito night then the next day you can use it as a topping for baked potatoes!
Guest post by Pamela Braun, a recipe developer and food blogger. You can find more of her fabulous recipes at My Man’s Belly.