Kids love to play instruments. Of course you may not want to pay an arm and a leg to get an instrument for your kid, nor should you when they are still too young and may not care for it properly. A few musical toys or DIY instruments for kids are perfect. All you need are your own two hands and a few common household items to create your own DIY instruments. With moderate craft skills, creativity, and imaginative spirit, your children can start your own kids rock band and be rocking out in no time. This post is brought to you by KinderCare Learning Centers and they have a ton of great learning ideas for kids on their site if you want more fun projects to do with your children.
How To Make DIY Instruments For Kids
DIY Instrument Supplies:
- For DIY Maracas, You Will Need:
- Plastic spoons
- Plastic eggs
- Washi tape or duct tape
- Dried rice or beans
- For DIY Guitar, You Will Need:
- A shoebox or any other small box
- Rubber bands
- Markers or crayons for decorating (optional)
- For DIY Bongos, You Will Need:
- Assortment of tin cans (avoid any with sharp edges)
- Large balloons in various colors
- Duct tape
How To Make Maracas For Kids-
- Fill the eggs with beans
- Place egg between two plastic spoons
- Wrap tape around the egg and spoon to hold them in place
- Use more tape to bind the handles together
- Shake the maracas in time to make some music
Another version of this is to make music shakers.
How To Make A Shoebox Guitar-
- Decorate the shoebox with markers or crayons (we’re 99% sure a fiery streak down the side will make it louder)
- Wrap several rubber bands around the box
- Play the tissue box guitar by plucking the strings at the open side of the box
How To Make Tin Can Bongos–
- Cut the top off of a balloon and stretch it over the top of an open tin can
- Cut the top off a second balloon and poke some small holes in it (a second color will look best!)
- Stretch the second balloon so you have two balloons covering the tin can
- Wrap tape around the base of both balloons to keep them in place
- Play the bongos by tapping with your hands or fingers or use a spoon for tapping.
Find more great ideas at www.kindercare.com/blog.
How To Make A Tambourine For Kids
You can also make a cute DIY tambourine instrument for kids to play. This fun craft is based on Psalm 100:1
“Make a Joyful Noise to the Lord” and you can get the whole tutorial at catholicicing.com
I hope you enjoy these homemade musical instruments kids will love and that it inspires your kids to love music and to play a musical instrument when they get older. It is such a great skill to have.
The Benefits Of Music For Children
Donna Hup says
These are super fun instrument craft ideas!
Laura at Mommy Maleta says
Love the pictures of these rockstars! I think homemade instruments are the best – great ideas!